Moments @ Hockey





 About eight years ago I remember taking a first grader to his first ice skating lesson at Chaska.  He was all bundled up in his snow pants, lucky as they provided cushion for his little butt.  We wrestled with the laces and finally he took his first step on that sheet of ice.  At the end of the lesson he greeted me with “I don’t know about this hockey, Baba.”  

Last night I enjoyed watching his Tonka Bantam Black team play what could be his last organized youth hockey game.   Luckily one of the dads cast the game on Sporfie so we could participate in the fun.  Our #3 has mastered the edges and is an amazing defense man.  Just two weeks ago, I watched live as he scored a “textbook” goal to win a game in a Wisconsin tourney.  G is usually the first player out on the ice at the end of the game to chat with his goalie.  Definitely a “team player”.

What a SKATE!  He has played on championship teams and teams where wins were hard earned and few.  His attitude has almost always been positive and he is eager to encourage his team mates.  That makes us proud!  Also, I have attended end of season team parties where he has been named “Most Coachable”.  Regardless of his age, G always has given it his best..  This experience has taught him a great deal.  Sportsmanship, responsibility, and accountability.  Yes, he has spent time in the penalty box.

As his mom posted this morning “Unless he plays Jr Gold next year hockey is over for that amazing kid!  The run has been so fun!”  I want to thank you, G for giving me the opportunity to share in your fun, meet an amazing group of players and their families, and give me the chance to be so proud of you.  Never get rid of your skates and thanks for the memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Moments @ Hockey

 About eight years ago I remember taking a first grader to his first ice skating lesson at Chaska.  He was all bundled up in his snow pants,...