Moments @ beliefs

 I hadn’t planned to write a post of this nature for a time but I told you my faith means everything to me.  One of our Pastoral Interns at St. Mark’s, Alice Murray, made this post on Facebook and thus I have to write about it.

Jesus didn’t have to agree with people to be kind to them. . .”

There is that word, “kind”.  So simple!  Wee children are reminded to “be kind” when they first tough a kitten or puppy.  There are so many plaques and items with those words displayed in any store you enter today.  Two precise words which give us an approach to our circumstances. When I was teaching I remember often reminding children to practice this behavior.  Children can be very kind or they can be very cruel.  Ask any child who has been bullied.  Nevertheless, we begin teaching kindness at a very young age.  To begin kindness is an action but as we grow it is displayed in our words and behaviors in a profound way.

Consequently, Alice’s spiritual post caught my consideration.  As a Christian, I endeavor to connect my faith and life,  Jesus was a teacher and the Holy Spirit abides in me,  This message is so important in my world today.  I am troubled by the way opinions are used as the measure of  how we treat others.  If you agree with me or have a like point of view,, then I will judge and treat you accordingly.  What a difference it would make if we chose to listen with the intent to understand but not react with unkindness or even hate,  Love one another and be kind is so much easier,  What another says or believes is their right.  I may wish to disagree but I can do that in a kind manner.  

You many think I am trying to avoid conflict and if you knew me you would know I am often invigorated with debate.  But if I am really trying to behave my best, I must BE KIND.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moments @ Hockey

 About eight years ago I remember taking a first grader to his first ice skating lesson at Chaska.  He was all bundled up in his snow pants,...